Companies that lead the pack, companies that are continually successful over time have leaders and management teams that do certain things. Recently, I have read several articles about successful business leaders and their companies. Here are a few common elements –
1. Order, simplicity, and an office environment with few distractions. This is a basic concept that often escapes attention when there are other things to need to be addressed – but a discipline that is important.
2. A daily walk. A regular daily walk is known to be conducive to brain functioning – clears your head, stimulates thinking – also good exercise.
3. Accountability metrics. Set standard for yourself and your team.
4. Establish a clear dividing line between important work and busywork. Resist the temptation to work on the easy stuff which really isn’t urgent. Focus on the top three critical tasks.
5. A supportive partner. A spouse or close friend that is there for you, no matter what, is really important.
6. Limited social lives. There is a time and place for everything. Keep a balance.
7. Relative isolation. It is interesting that very successful people carve out time to be by themselves and also limit their key interactions to a very small trusted circle.